A community bank’s digital assets are every bit as valuable as the money in the vault. The business of financial services has undergone a tremendous amount of change in the last decade with the advancement of network technology, online services and the growing demand from customers for 24/7 access to their financial lives. Running a community bank is not simply a matter of managing money and providing loans. It’s about managing data and networks, too.
Because of this technological shift in the industry, network administrators and information technology officers now play a crucial part in ensuring the financial institution’s network and data are protected from viruses, malware and electronic attacks.
There are a number of tools and procedures available that will help any community bank or credit union to operate in the online age with a greater degree of confidence. Some of these steps may seem like obvious security techniques, but the deployment of a layered approach is the first step in building a strong security foundation.
Deploy these 10 Steps to Best Manage your Community Bank’s IT Security Program
- Employ a firewall and intrusion prevention system (IPS) solution
- Keep your Microsoft systems patched with the latest bug fixes and security updates
- Maintain up-to-date virus security software and definitions
- Establish a process for critical server vulnerability scanning
- Patch ubiquitous third-party applications, such as Adobe, Java and Flash
- Have an ongoing server hardening solution to remove common and critical vulnerabilities
- Use a hosted DNS solution to protect against malware downloads
- Train your employees on information security and best practices
- Install a server security solution to monitor activity and help prevent attacks
- Have a comprehensive reporting solution for both network management and security review
Deploying these ten steps will provide you the additional peace of mind that comes through sound, comprehensive IT security. These ten components go a long way toward building a comprehensive security program that will help protect your institution and its assets from many malicious attacks.
We understand that community banks like yours are under pressure to manage the constant evolution of technology. By applying these tactics and solutions, you can stay ahead of this ever changing environment while managing costs and resources.
For more information on how to implement these techniques to keep your community bank’s digital assets secure, download Safe System’s complimentary white paper, 10 Components of a Comprehensive IT Security System for Community Banks.